In celebration of our 7th anniversary we have launched our new “Parenting” show. Tonight we recall our whirlwind of a relationship while giving you all a taste of what to expect from the “Mom and Dad Cuss” podcast. There’s no sugar coating or fluff on this show.
Follow “Mom and Dad Cuss” on Spreaker and wherever you find your favorite podcasts.
This week I think back on my childhood TV habits and talk about some of the shows I used to watch. Then I look at some of the shows that we share with our children now. From watching “Rugrats” to singing along with “RuPaul’s Drag Race,” our boys seem to have a pretty well rounded television exposure.
I’m back after a week off to deal with a severe case of “fucking tired” combined with a hint of “don’t know what to talk about” to bring you this week’s rant about cars. Specifically I’m talking about the stupidity of the “tuner” culture and the compulsion to “supe up” your car. No history lesson this week, just a plain old school Odd Dad Out bitching. Enjoy… or don’t, I’m not the boss of you…
Fun Coffee Facts / History
- Coffee beans are actually the pit of a berry.
Legend has it that coffee was discovered by Ethiopian goat herders in the 9th century who found that their goats would “dance” after eating the berries.
Coffee comes from an Arabic phrase that means “wine of the bean”
- Caffeine, and by extension coffee, is psychoactive stimulant and in extremely high doses can cause hallucinations and death.
- But it would take drinking 100 standard cups of coffee in one sitting to actually die.
- 1.4 billion cups of coffee are consumed every day
- Most expensive Starbucks coffee is a 16 shot espresso which will set you back about $24.
- Most expensive coffee in the world comes from the feces of a Sumatran wild cat. While digesting the berries, the pits are fermented. The collected beans cost as much as $600 per lb.
- Claiming to be the strongest coffee in the world, Death Wish Coffee boasts 660 mg of caffeine per 12 oz cup.
- By comparison a standard cup of coffee contains from 100-150 mg of caffeine
- A single shot espresso is between 80-120mg
- Tea 40 mg
- Average chocolate bar has between 20-60 mg caffeine
- Standard 12 oz cola has from 40-60 mg
(For reference the lethal amount is approximately 10,000 mg for the average adult)
Coffee’s Bad Rap
- For years coffee has been blamed for everything from hypertension and heart disease to birth defects and cancer.
- Coffee houses were actually banned in England in the late 1600’s because the king thought that’s where people were plotting against him.
- Italian priests in the 16th century labeled coffee as satanic until Pope Clement VIII declared it delicious and had it baptised. (Hence all the Italian coffee houses)
Fortunately for all of us coffee lovers, they were all wrong…
- Modern research has found no concrete proof that drinking coffee has any long term negative effects and has actually disproven almost all previous accusations.
- Long term moderate (2-4 cups a day) coffee consumption has been shown to reduce the risk of:
- Some forms of Cancer
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Asthma attacks
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Regular heavy coffee consumption has actually been shown to reduce blood pressure and help strengthen the heart.
- Coffee actually contains 4X the cancer fighting antioxidants as a cup of green tea.
Now that you know it’s not going to kill you, drink up, and make it a double.
I think this is going to go down as the Superbowl of WTF.
Ok, it’s established that I don’t “like” sports especially, but that doesn’t stop me from watching “The Big Game” on principle. After all you don’t have to care about the teams to appreciate the event. There is always plenty to enjoy and ridicule besides the football game anyway. (Incidentally I had to actually do research for some of this info.)
There’s always controversy over the Superbowl.
With all of the betting involved it creates controversy by itself.
Cam Newton could probably use a Whataburger right now
But he might turn away from it…
— Whataburger® (@Whataburger) February 8, 2016
-Peyton Drinking Budweiser
There was probably a good amount of betting going on about whether or not Peyton Manning would retire after this season. Some are saying he said yes without actually saying yes.
Twice in post game interviews Peyton Manning says he’s going to drink a lot of Budweiser and think about whether or not to retire. NFL rules forbid any active player from endorsing any alcoholic product. Conspiracy theorists say this is Peyton secretly telling the world he is retiring, and endorsing Budweiser, since he can’t do that as an active player.
And Now.. Commercials
To some people the Superbowl Commercials are more important than the game.
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2 separate commercials)
ReAnna’s Football Movie Guide:
- Jada Pinkett Smith is boycotting the Academy Awards because for the 2nd straight year there are no African American nominees.
- “Clueless” actress, Stacey Dash has fired back at the boycott and begun feuding with the BET network in the process.
AZ girls post “racist” photo
|You can help support this show by donating on Patreon|
Once again, my wife ReAnna joins me on the show. For as much as she complains about the time I spend on this, she does have a good time when she’s on. Tonight she joins me for an extra long episode to talk about a bit of the news of the week, and some of our personal happenings.
“The 69 Club”
In the last few weeks 3 highly influential English celebrities have died of cancer at the age of 69
- Lemmy Kilmister: Dec 28, 2015- Singer/ Bassist for metal band Motorhead. Died 4 days after his 70th birthday from brain cancer diagnosed only 2 days before his death. Due to an online petition, the Jack Daniels and Coke has been officially named the “Lemmy.”
- David Bowie: Jan 10, 2016- Singer (Ziggy Stardust), songwriter, record producer, actor, painter. Died from liver cancer 2 days after his 69th birthday. His final album “Blackstar” debuted as his first #1 album in the US.
- Alan Rickman: Jan 14, 2016: Film and stage actor and director. Died from pancreatic cancer discovered after a minor stroke. Many have used Twitter to pay homage to Rickman by “raising their wands” in reference to a scene in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince when Hogwarts students point their wands to the sky to honor the recently-deceased Dumbledore.
- We are one of those families that treat their pets like any other member of the family. We go into depth about each of our pets’ personalities and their place in the family.
- Emmit: Dalmatian/ Lab, grumpy old guard dog
- Fluffy: doesn’t know she’s a cat, we’re convinced she used to be a nurse
- Cheyenne: ReAnna’s boxer- spoiled little princess, lost to cancer in November
- Toby: ReAnna’s cat- Got lost over the weekend and caused housewide freakout
- ReAnna is excited for season 2 of Dinotrux on Netflix. She even started shopping for clothes.
- We aren’t very friendly. We don’t talk to people much, and we really only go out on Halloween
- ReAnna thinks the guy next door is creepy for sitting in his garage “people watching” all day.