ReAnna’s Football Movie Guide:
- Jada Pinkett Smith is boycotting the Academy Awards because for the 2nd straight year there are no African American nominees.
- “Clueless” actress, Stacey Dash has fired back at the boycott and begun feuding with the BET network in the process.
AZ girls post “racist” photo
|You can help support this show by donating on Patreon|
Once again, my wife ReAnna joins me on the show. For as much as she complains about the time I spend on this, she does have a good time when she’s on. Tonight she joins me for an extra long episode to talk about a bit of the news of the week, and some of our personal happenings.
“The 69 Club”
In the last few weeks 3 highly influential English celebrities have died of cancer at the age of 69
- Lemmy Kilmister: Dec 28, 2015- Singer/ Bassist for metal band Motorhead. Died 4 days after his 70th birthday from brain cancer diagnosed only 2 days before his death. Due to an online petition, the Jack Daniels and Coke has been officially named the “Lemmy.”
- David Bowie: Jan 10, 2016- Singer (Ziggy Stardust), songwriter, record producer, actor, painter. Died from liver cancer 2 days after his 69th birthday. His final album “Blackstar” debuted as his first #1 album in the US.
- Alan Rickman: Jan 14, 2016: Film and stage actor and director. Died from pancreatic cancer discovered after a minor stroke. Many have used Twitter to pay homage to Rickman by “raising their wands” in reference to a scene in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince when Hogwarts students point their wands to the sky to honor the recently-deceased Dumbledore.
- We are one of those families that treat their pets like any other member of the family. We go into depth about each of our pets’ personalities and their place in the family.
- Emmit: Dalmatian/ Lab, grumpy old guard dog
- Fluffy: doesn’t know she’s a cat, we’re convinced she used to be a nurse
- Cheyenne: ReAnna’s boxer- spoiled little princess, lost to cancer in November
- Toby: ReAnna’s cat- Got lost over the weekend and caused housewide freakout
- ReAnna is excited for season 2 of Dinotrux on Netflix. She even started shopping for clothes.
- We aren’t very friendly. We don’t talk to people much, and we really only go out on Halloween
- ReAnna thinks the guy next door is creepy for sitting in his garage “people watching” all day.
- You can help make this show better by donating on Patreon
Tonight I planned to talk about harvesting oranges, the craziness of the weather this winter, and the full blown force of El Niño. Fortunately I did NOT spend 30 minutes talking about the weather and got sidetracked into complaining about HOA’s. I also realize that I am terrible at perceiving the basic passage of time, or my age, or whatever age I’m supposed to be.
• It’s winter time. That means harvesting season for the citrus in Arizona. I’ve been slowly working on picking all the oranges from my tree. I’ve gotten about 150 lbs down already and probably have another 200 to go. In the mean time winter has officially reared it’s head and there are blizzards in some parts of the country. Northern Arizona has actually gotten 30 inches of SNOW in the last week. Some towns are nearly inaccessible because of the ice and snow on the mountain roads. Of course down here in Phoenix that just means it’s been raining for 4 days straight with 40 degree temps. I realize that is warm for a lot of places, but for us here it’s damn cold.
•Because I can’t complete a thought, HOA’s suck. Pain in the ass organizations that make something as basic as checking your mail or mowing your lawn difficult. I don’t need somebody telling me how my house should look. Going along with HOA’s are the “snowbirds” that run them, all the old people who basically fly south for the winter because they live in cold places. I dunno, I’m not a fan of humans migrating seasonally. They may try to act nice, but they are the most nit-picky old bastards who will ever live next to you for 3 months a year.
•Time is a funny thing. Time and age are relative. I have to remind myself from time to time that I am actually an adult with a wife and 4 children. Then I have to remember that I’m 31 and that is actually perfectly acceptable. I think about my age in relation to other things like my children or my younger siblings and then I really feel old. Then I remember how old my big sisters are and it’s not so bad. I think about my dad (65) in relation to my youngest brother (18) and think he’s old. Then I’ll remember that my oldest sister is 37 and it’s suddenly not so bad. Again time and age are all in how you perceive them.
Should I try out live streaming shows? I’ve considered trying out a possible live show either using Spreaker or Mixlr. Let me know on Facebook or Twitter @odddadout.
Donate to the show at Patreon.com/odddadout
- Found Spreaker App for Android, allowed live streaming and recording of a podcast from my phone.
- July 22, 2015- Spur of the moment broadcast first Odd Dad Out Podcast live from my car while driving home from work. (My apologies to anyone who’s listened to it.) I had no clue what I was doing, and used a Skyrim ringtone and canned audience for the intro. That actually stuck for a few shows.
- August 6- Episode 3: “Rowdy” show, recorded the night before son #4 was born. First time actually using notes for a show. Took 3 tries to record and left me completely exhausted the next morning when it was time to have the baby.
- Episode 4: First and so far only show with a co-host. Recorded show with my wife and realized how much I need better recording equipment if I’m gonna have anybody else on the show.
- Hiatus- After Episode 5, which was my strongest show up to that point, maybe still, the combination of new baby, work, 3 other boys, and plain old writer’s block resulted in an unintended 2 month break from recording.
- November- Show resumes with the appropriately titled “I’m Still Here.” I’ve got a new resolve to not Pod-fade and promise to get on a regular release schedule.
- Enter Flu Season- Plagues of sickness overtake our house in a seemingly endless chain of rotating illness lasting for weeks and derailing the regular recording schedule.
- Odd Dad Out Studio
- Format changes- Gonna start actually planning out the shows somewhat and creating better show notes (like these.)
- Aiming to get the official OddDadOutPodcast.com up and running soon.
- Want to upgrade my media hosting and website to have more space for shows and a better web presence.
- I’m gonna try to be more active on social media.
- Guest co-hosts- I want to start having guest co-hosts join me from time to time. I don’t do interviews, but having somebody else to talk to would definitely be an improvement.
Episode 10: Holiday Cheer
- Show delays: Been sick again but this time I’m pretty sure I got food poisoning. I swear I don’t usually get sick this often. Well maybe just in wintertime…
- Visit from my little brother: My younger brother came to visit with his wife and daughter from San Antonio, TX this past week. (This also contributed to not doing a show last week.) They stayed with us for a week and my boys couldn’t have been more excited. My sister in-law even managed to get them to clean up the house while I slept off an especially long night at work. Included in the trip was the first holiday celebration with our mother and all 6 of her children in 10 years.
- Holiday Season: Recorded on Christmas Eve 2015 the topic of the holidays had to come up. I don’t care how you say it, or what you celebrate, it’s that time of year when we are all supposed to get together and be merry and giving. If you are seriously going to be offended because somebody wished you a Merry Christmas, you’re being an asshole. And I don’t know of any asshole holidays this time of year. Whether you celebrate any particular holiday or none at all, there is no reason to be offended by somebody sharing a positive sentiment. No matter what holiday you observe, the over-arching theme is togetherness and love and giving. What reason is there to be offended. Even if it’s not your religion, or your holiday, suck it up and stop being such a dick.
Have a Happy Winter Solstice based Seasonal Holiday, and a Pleasant Upcoming Calendar Cycle as well.
In a strange twist, I actually keep to a single topic tonight. I discuss people and how we are drawn to different people or groups based on circumstance, tastes, hobbies, or being complete opposites. Maybe not the most complete thoughts, but when do I really have those?
Coming off a 3 week string of illnesses, I get started with a rant about wearing pajamas as normal clothes in public. Later on things twist into how we are all so attached to our smart phones. Finally I end up talking about my podcast habits and my educational resources for trying to improve this show.
Follow Odd Dad Out on Facebook and Twitter to chat direct.
This week I find myself talking about this wonderful state that I call home. Out of nowhere I end up just talking about Arizona and how I view it as opposed to how outsiders see things.
*Remember, I don’t plan this out.*
It’s been 2 months since the last episode, but that is all in the past now. I’m back and ranty and ready to get back in the ring for another go.
*Note: 2 In-show references to sound effects that did not show up on final recording, my bad. #idon’tedit